google analytics

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bols Advocaat - egg liqueur that's hard to like

So I like eggs. I like eggs over easy, scrambled eggs, eggs on toast, hard boiled eggs, egg salad, eggnog, and even eggs on pizza. But advocaat (egg liqueur) is one of the few liqueurs that I simply don't like. I can't even find a single cocktail recipe to make it palatable.

A number of countries make egg liqueur. Bols from Holland is one of the more venerable institutions producing advocaat, but you can find other examples of egg liqueur in Washington State such as Santa Clara Rompope liqueur from Mexico.

Bols Advocaat is made with fresh egg yolks, sugar and alcohol (the exact recipe being a closely guarded secret), and is low in alcohol at only 15%. It's artificially colored and looks a lot like eggnog. It's even thick like eggnog. Unfortunately, it tastes like a fermented omelet.

From the moment I opened this bottle, I knew that I'd need to find a cocktail recipe that would mask its taste because there was no way I could stomach drinking it neat. So I tried a classic recipe of advocaat, cherry liqueur and orange juice, but found it tasted like smearing cherry jam on a fermented omelet with orange juice splashed on to muddle everything up. In desperation I tried other recipes, even making up my own, but nothing worked.

So now the bottle sits on my shelf, virtually the only alcohol I've tried that I found simply undrinkable. Obviously there are a number of people out there who like advocaat since the liquor stores wouldn't carry it if it didn't sell. I'd be happy to give away my bottle to a good home, but fear that it'll eventually end up down the drain instead. If you're into fermented omelets, you can find Bols Advocaat at close to a dozen western Washington liquor store locations.

5 comments:

  1. I'd gladly take it, as my friend (an avid coffee drinker) wants to try a certain cocktail from it (equal parts brandy, advocaat, and espresso, topped with whipped cream, served hot). . . and she drinks some really strange stuff.
    But if not . . . we'll check out our local stores . . . or at least the ones we frequent on Capitol Hill, downtown, and in Ballard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see it possibly working with those strong ingredients, enough to hide the flavor somewhat. Let me know if you like the taste. I'd give you my bottle, but I fear it's been open long enough that it's not as fresh as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all you don't use it in cocktails, if you don't like drinking it on its own just add 7 up or sprite with it, and to top it off just add a cherry. Its a very popular drink in the UK/Europe area, I have had no luck finding it locally in my area though and was dearly hoping to get some this past week but alas, friend forgot to bring it with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had in a bumble bee shot - was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traditionally taken in with a little spoon, often dotted with whipped cream, favorite among old ladies. But also used as dessert sauce, on ice cream or cake. If you add milk you’ve got the best egg nog. Or give it to your local Dutch Club.

    ReplyDelete